1. (form) "Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus"
2. (form) "Application to Proceed in Forma Pauperis" - with information sheet
INSTRUCTIONS -- READ CAREFULLY
1. This petition must be an original (not a photocopy), legibly handwritten or typewritten, and signed by the petitioner under penalty of perjury. You must set forth CONCISELY (briefly and to the point) the answer to each question in the proper space on the form. Any false statement of a material fact may serve as the basis for prosecution and conviction for perjury.
2. If you have more than 4 grounds for relief, you may attach pages with the remaining grounds; however, the format of the attached pages must be the same as the petition and you must provide only a brief statement of facts. No citation to legal authority is required. A brief or memorandum in support of the petition may also be attached; however, the form petition must be complete in itself and may not simply refer to the attachments.
3. Only one sentence, conviction, or parole matter may be challenged in a single petition. If you challenge more than one, you must do so by separate petition.
4. The fee to file a petition for writ of habeas corpus is $5.00, and you should submit the fee with your petition. If you do not have the necessary filing fee, you may request permission to proceed in forma pauperis, in which event you must complete and submit an Application to Proceed In Forma Pauperis, setting forth information establishing your inability to prepay the fees. You must have an authorized officer at the penal institution complete the certificate as to the amount of money on deposit to your credit in any account in the institution. You must also submit a certified copy of your trust account statement reflecting the prior 6 months of transactions.
5. When the petition is fully completed, the original and two copies must be mailed to the Clerk of the United States District Court. You must determine which court has venue (venue is the proper place -- court/district/division -- for the trial of a lawsuit). Depending on the nature of your case, venue may be determined by factors such as (1) location of the institution in which you are confined, (2) location of the trial court where judgment was entered, (3) location where events occurred, or (4) residence of the respondent(s). If you send your petition to a court lacking venue, your case may be dismissed, transferred to another court, or mailed back to you.
6. The Fresno Division of the United States District Court is comprised of the following counties: Fresno, Calaveras, Inyo, Kern, Kings, Madera, Mariposa, Merced, Stanislaus, Tulare, and Tuolomne, and the address is as follows:
Clerk, United States District Court 2500 Tulare Street, Room 1501 Fresno, California 93721
The Sacramento Division of the United States District Court is comprised of the following counties: Alpine, Amador, Butte, Colusa, El Dorado, Glenn, Lassen, Modoc, Mono, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Shasta, Sierra, Siskiyou, Solano, Sutter, Tehama, Trinity, Yolo, and Yuba, and the address is as follows:
Clerk, United States District Court 501 "I" Street, Suite 4-200 Sacramento, California 95814
You should keep a copy of the petition for your records.
7. Once the petition is filed, the court will review it. You will be sent a copy of any order the court issues. Because of the large volume of cases filed by inmates pending in this court, the court WILL NOT ANSWER INQUIRIES concerning the status of your case.
8. You must keep the Clerk of the Court informed of any change of address. If you fail to do so, the Clerk cannot be responsible for your failure to receive Court orders. This could result in the dismissal of your case. (See Local Rules 11-110 and 83-182(d))
9. The Clerk of Court cannot provide copies of documents to litigants, except at a charge of fifty cents ($.50) per page. This charge also applies to litigants proceeding in forma pauperis. Therefore, you must keep copies of all documents submitted to the court for your own records.
_________________________________ Name _________________________________ Prison Number _________________________________ _________________________________ _________________________________ Address or Place of Confinement
Note: If represented by an attorney, write attorney's name, address & telephone number
_________________________________ CASE NO.______________________________ Full Name (First, Middle, Last) (to be supplied by the Clerk of the United States District Court)
Petitioner, v. PETITION FOR
Name of Warden WRIT OF HABEAS CORPUS
(or other authorized person having custody of petitioner) PURSUANT TO 28 U.S.C. § 2241
BY A PERSON IN FEDERAL CUSTODY Respondent.
PLEASE COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING (check the appropriate number):
1. a conviction CAUTION: If you are attacking a federal conviction,
2. a sentence sentence or judgment, you must
3. jail or prison conditions first file a direct appeal ...