IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE EASTERN DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA
March 27, 2009
WILLIE C. HEARNE, PETITIONER,
MATTHEW CATE, SECRETARY, RESPONDENT.
Petitioner, a state prisoner proceeding through counsel, has filed an application for a writ of habeas corpus pursuant to 28 U.S.C. § 2254. Petitioner has paid the filing fee.
Since petitioner may be entitled to the requested relief if the claimed violation of constitutional rights is proved, respondent will be directed to file a response to petitioner's application.
In accordance with the above, IT IS HEREBY ORDERED that:
1. Respondents are directed to file a response to petitioner's application within sixty days from the date of this order. See Rule 4, Fed. R. Governing § 2254 Cases. An answer shall be accompanied by any and all transcripts or other documents relevant to the issues presented in the petition. See Rule 5, Fed. R. Governing § 2254 Cases;
2. Petitioner's reply, if any, shall be filed and served within thirty days of service of an answer;
3. If the response to petitioner's petition is a motion, the motion shall be noticed and briefed in accordance with Local Rule 78-230(b), (c) and (d);
4. If the response to petitioner's petition is an answer, petitioner's reply to the answer shall be filed and served within thirty days after the answer is served; any motion for an evidentiary hearing shall be filed and served by petitioner concurrently with his reply to the answer; and
5. All motions shall be noticed for hearing before the undersigned on a regularly scheduled law and motion calendar. Parties may appear at the hearing telephonically; to arrange telephonic appearance, the party shall contact Pete Buzo, the courtroom deputy of the undersigned magistrate judge, at (916) 930-4128 no later than three days prior to the hearing.
6. The Clerk of the Court shall serve a copy of this order together with a copy of petitioner's application for a writ of habeas corpus pursuant to 28 U.S.C. § 2254 on Michael Patrick Farrell, Senior Assistant Attorney General.
© 1992-2009 VersusLaw Inc.