The opinion of the court was delivered by: Hon. Audrey B. Collins
PRELIMINARY INJUNCTION AND ORDER OF SEIZURE Hearing Date: April 7, 2009 Time: 10:00 a.m. Courtroom: 680
Plaintiff BRAVADO INTERNATIONAL GROUP MERCHANDISING SERVICES, INC. ("Plaintiff") having moved for a Preliminary Injunction enjoining and restraining the defendants from manufacturing, selling or distributing merchandise bearing the trademarks servicemarks, logos, or likenesses of the musical artist "ELTON JOHN" (the "Artist") ordering the seizure and impounding of such articles; and service having been effected upon certain defendants at the Artist's concerts which have previously occurred; and Plaintiff's application having come on for a hearing before the Honorable Audrey B. Collins on the 7th day of April, 2009, at the United States Courthouse in the Central District of California, and Plaintiff having appeared by its attorneys, and there having been no other appearances;
Now, on presentation and consideration of Plaintiff's application for a preliminary injunction and order of seizure, the declaration in support thereof and all other pleadings and prior proceedings heretofore had herein in this matter, the Court hereby finds:
1. By reason of the substantial and continuous use of the trademarks, servicemarks, logos, and likenesses of the Artist in connection with his work as a musical performer, said marks have acquired meanings identified with the Artist and with products and services associated with him;
2. The served defendants, and those in active concert or participation with such defendants, have infringed upon Plaintiff's rights in the Artist's trademarks, servicemarks, logos, or likenesses owned and/or controlled by Plaintiff, and have as well committed acts of unfair competition against Plaintiff herein by manufacturing, distributing, offering for sale and selling merchandise bearing any or all of the trademarks, servicemarks, logos, and likenesses of the Artist at or near the sites of the Artist's concerts, without having obtained a license or any other authorization to do so, as alleged in the complaint;
3. The acts of the defendants, and those in active concert or participation with them, constitute a violation of the United States Trademark Act in that they: a). involve goods or services, b) are activities which affect interstate commerce, and c) infringe the trademark and/or bear a false designation of the source or origin of such goods or are likely to cause confusion, mistake or deception as to the affiliation, connection, association, sponsorship or approval of Plaintiff and/or the Artist with respect to such goods;
4. Defendants, and those in active concert or participation with them, will continue to sell such unauthorized merchandise unless enjoined by the Court; and
5. Copies of this Court's Order to Show Cause On Motion For Preliminary Injunction with A Temporary Restraining and Seizure Order, and the Complaint filed in support of Plaintiff's application in this case have been served upon the defendants and unauthorized, "bootleg" merchandise has been seized from the defendants;
NOW, THEREFORE, IT IS HEREBY
ORDERED, that the defendants, their agents, servants, employees, attorneys, successors, and assigns, and all persons, firms, and corporations acting in active concert or participation with said defendants, are enjoined and restrained from:
(A) Using any or all of the trademarks, servicemarks, logos, or likenesses of the Artist in connection with the sale, offering for sale, distribution, and/or advertising of any clothing or other merchandise;
(B) Manufacturing, distributing, selling, and/or holding for sale any clothing or other merchandise which carries or otherwise uses any or all of the trademarks, servicemarks, logos, or likenesses or images of the Artist; or
( c) Aiding, abetting, inducing, or encouraging another to perform any of the acts enjoined herein.
IT IS FURTHER ORDERED, that the U.S. Marshal for this district or for any district in which Plaintiff seeks to enforce this Order in the United States, the state police, local police, local deputy sheriffs, off-duty officers of the same, and any person acting under their supervision (collectively "Process Servers"), are hereby similarly authorized to seize and impound any and all unauthorized merchandise bearing any or all of the trademarks, servicemarks, logos, or likenesses of the Artist "ELTON JOHN" or any colorable imitations or variations thereof, or associated marks which defendants or their agents, employees or representatives attempt to sell or are holding for sale in the vicinity of any of the Artist's concerts from six (6) hours before to six (6) hours after any performance of the Artist within a ten (10) mile vicinity of the halls, stadiums or arenas at which the Artist shall be performing or elsewhere where such merchandise is being sold, held for sale or is otherwise found, including in any carton, bag, vehicle, or container in which the merchandise is transported or stored. All clothing, jewelry, photographs, posters and other merchandise bearing any or all of the trademarks, servicemarks, logos, or likenesses of the Artist or the Tour, or any ...