IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE EASTERN DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA
June 3, 2009
MOODY WOODROW TANKSLEY, PLAINTIFF,
CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS, ET. AL., DEFENDANTS.
The opinion of the court was delivered by: Sidney R. Thomas, United States Circuit Judge Sitting by Designation
Plaintiff is a state prisoner proceeding pro se. Plaintiff seeks relief pursuant to 42 U.S.C. § 1983 and has filed an application to proceed in forma pauperis under 28 U.S.C. § 1915. Plaintiff has submitted an in forma pauperis application that makes the showing required by 28 U.S.C. § 1915(a). Accordingly, plaintiff will be granted leave to proceed in forma pauperis.
Plaintiff is required to pay the statutory filing fee of $350.00 for this action. See 28 U.S.C. § 1914(a) & 1915(b)(1). Plaintiff is currently without funds. Accordingly, the court will not assess an initial partial filing fee. See 28 U.S.C. § 1915(b)(1). Plaintiff will be obligated to make monthly payments of twenty percent of the preceding month's income credited to his prison trust account. These payments will be collected and forwarded by the appropriate agency to the Clerk of the Court each time the amount in Plaintiff's account exceeds $10.00, until the filing fee is paid in full. See 28 U.S.C. § 1915(b)(2).
Plaintiff's complaint appears to state cognizable claims for relief pursuant to 42 U.S.C. § 1983 and 28 U.S.C. § 1915A(b). Plaintiff contends that he was physically harmed by the defendants on September 1, 2008. If Plaintiff's allegations in the complaint are proven, he has a reasonable opportunity to prevail on the merits of this action.
Accordingly, IT IS HEREBY ORDERED that:
1. Plaintiff's June 1, 2009, application to proceed in forma pauperis is granted.
2. Plaintiff is obligated to pay the statutory filing fee of $350.00 for this action.
The fee shall be collected and paid in accordance with this court's order to the Director of the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation filed concurrently herewith.
3. Service of the complaint is appropriate for the following defendants: Mr. R. Roberson, Mr. J. Marisoal, Mr. R. Boccella, Mr. R. Grounds, Mr. Williams, Mr. Parsons, Mr. W.L. Muniz, and Warden of the Salinas Valley Prison.
4. The Clerk of the Court shall send plaintiff eight USM-285 forms, one summons, an instruction sheet and a copy of the complaint filed June 1, 2009.
5. Within thirty days from the date of this order, plaintiff shall complete the attached Notice of Submission of Documents and submit all of the following documents to the court at the same time: a. The completed, signed Notice of Submission of Documents; b. One completed summons; c. One completed USM-285 form for each defendant listed in number 3 above; and d. Nine copies of the endorsed complaint filed June 1, 2009.
6. Plaintiff shall not attempt to effect service of the complaint on defendants or request a waiver of service of summons from any defendant. Upon receipt of the above-described documents, the court will direct the United States Marshal to serve the above-named defendants pursuant to Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 4 without payment of costs.
IT IS SO ORDERED.
NOTICE OF SUBMISSION OF DOCUMENTS
Plaintiff hereby submits the following documents in compliance with the court's order filed
one completed summons form;
 completed USM-285 forms; and
 true and exact copies of the complaint filed June 1, 2009.
© 1992-2009 VersusLaw Inc.