The opinion of the court was delivered by: Garland E. Burrell, Jr. United States District Judge
SETTLEMENT STIPULATION; RELEASES, DISMISSAL, and ORDER
It is hereby stipulated by and between Plaintiffs Raquel Bradshaw and Robert C. Bradshaw, individually and as decedent Kristian Bradshaw's successors in interest ("Plaintiffs") and Defendant, the United States of America (with Plaintiffs, "the Parties"), and their undersigned attorneys as follows:
1. The Parties hereby agree to settle and compromise each and every claim of any kind, whether known or unknown, arising directly or indirectly from the acts or omissions that gave rise to the above-captioned action under the terms and conditions set forth in this Stipulation.
2. The United States agrees to pay the sum of Two Hundred Forty-five Thousand and no/100 Dollars ($245,000.00) to Plaintiffs, which sum shall be in full settlement and satisfaction of any and all claims, demands, rights, and causes of action of whatsoever kind and nature, arising from, and
SETTLEMENT STIPULATION; RELEASES, DISMISSAL, ORDER by reason of any and all known and unknown, foreseen and unforeseen bodily and personal injuries, damage to property and the consequence thereof, resulting, and to result, from the subject matter of this action, including any claims for wrongful death, which Plaintiffs or their heirs, executors, administrators, successors or assigns, and each of them, now have or may hereafter acquire against the United States, its agents, servants, and employees.
3. Plaintiffs (and on behalf of their heirs, executors, administrators, successors or assigns), for and in consideration of the payment of the sum set forth in paragraph 2, do hereby agree to RELEASE, ACQUIT AND FOREVER DISCHARGE Defendant United States and its agents, servants, employees, officers, elected officials, citizens, and attorneys from any and all claims, demands, rights, causes of action and damages of whatsoever kind and nature, including claims for wrongful death, arising from, and by reason of, any and all known and unknown, foreseen and unforeseen bodily and personal injuries, damage to property and the consequences thereof which they may have or hereafter acquire against the United States, its agents, servants, and employees on account of the same subject matter that gave rise to this action, including any future claim or lawsuit of any kind or type whatsoever, whether known or unknown, and whether for compensatory or exemplary damages. Plaintiffs and their heirs, executors, administrators, or assigns further agree to reimburse, indemnify and hold harmless the United States and its agents, servants and employees from and against any and all causes of action, claims, liens, rights, or subrogated or contribution interests incident to or resulting from further litigation or the prosecution of claims arising from the subject matter of this action.
4. Plaintiffs' undersigned attorney represents that he has explained, and Plaintiffs warrant and represent that they intend, that this Stipulation shall release all existing and future claims arising directly or indirectly from the acts or omissions that gave rise to the above-captioned action, including claims that are unknown and unforeseen, notwithstanding Section 1542 of the Civil Code of the State of California, which provides as follows:
A general release does not extend to claims which the creditor does not know or suspect to exist in his favor at the time of executing [this] Release, which if known by him must have materially affected his settlement with the debtor.
5. This Stipulation is not, is in no way intended to be, and should not be construed as, an admission of liability or fault on the part of the United States or its agents, servants, or employees, and it is specifically denied that they are liable to Plaintiffs. This settlement is entered into by all Parties for the purpose of compromising disputed claims under the Federal Tort Claims Act and avoiding the expenses and risks of further litigation.
6. The Parties agree that they will each bear their own costs, fees, and expenses; that any attorney's fees owed by Plaintiffs will be paid out of the settlement amount and not in addition thereto; and that all outstanding or future bills and liens will be the sole responsibility of Plaintiffs. Pursuant to Title 28, United States Code, Section 2678, attorney's fees for services rendered in connection with this action shall not exceed 25 percent of the amount of the compromise settlement.
7. The undersigned Plaintiffs further acknowledge and agree that they have not relied upon the advice of the Defendant or its agents, representatives or attorneys concerning the tax or other legal implications of any amount paid pursuant to this Agreement, and Plaintiffs agree and promise that they will be responsible for payment in full of any federal, state or local income tax or other employee tax, if any, which may be assessed with respect to any amount paid pursuant to this Settlement.
8. Payment of the settlement amount will be made by check payable to Plaintiffs and their attorney, C. Brooks Cutter, Esq. Plaintiffs' attorney agrees to distribute the settlement proceeds, and to obtain a dismissal of the above-captioned action with prejudice, with each party bearing its own fees, costs and expenses.
9. The Parties and their undersigned attorneys agree to execute and deliver such other and further documents as may be required to carry out the terms of this Agreement.
10. Each person signing this Stipulation warrants and represents that he or she possesses full authority to bind the person[s] on whose behalf he or she is ...