UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT EASTERN DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA -- FRESNO DIVISION
March 22, 2010
SAN LUIS & DELTA-MENDOTA WATER AUTHORITY ET AL.
SALAZAR ET AL.
STATE WATER CONTRACTORS
SALAZAR ET AL.
DELTA ET AL.
UNITED STATES FISH AND WIDLIFE SERVICE ET AL.
METROPOLITAN WATER DISTRICT
UNITED STATES FISH AND WILDLIFE SERVICE ET AL.
STEWART & JASPER ORCHARDS ET AL.
UNITED STATES FISH AND WILDLIFE SERVICE ET AL.
The opinion of the court was delivered by: Oliver W. Wanger United States District Judge
COUNSEL IDENTIFICATION AT END
THE DELTA SMELT CASES
STIPULATION FOR ORDER OF WITNESSES AND ARGUMENTS FOR COORDINATED HEARINGS ON TEMPORARY RESTARAINING COALITION FOR A SUSTAINABLE ORDER/PRELIMINARY INJUNCTION/INTERIM REMEDIES MOTIONS
Judge: Honorable Oliver W. Wanger
Date: March 30 -- April 2, April 5-7, 2010
Pursuant to the Scheduling and Status Telephone Conferences held with the Court on March 16, 2010, the parties in the Consolidated Delta Smelt Cases and the Consolidated Salmonid Cases have agreed to the following as the schedule for presentation of witnesses and argument in the coordinated hearings on the pending Motions for Temporary Restraining Order, Preliminary Injunction and Interim Remedies:
1. Evidence and arguments in the Consolidated Salmonid Cases will proceed first.
2. The proposed order of live witnesses and argument is as set forth below. In setting this schedule, and based on input from the Court, the Parties have estimated that the total number of court hours for the coordinated hearings is approximately 44 hours. Based on this estimate, the Parties have agreed to allocate the hours to each of the Cases as follows:
* TRO/PI Motion in Salmonid Cases re RPA Action IV.2.1 (Doc Nos. 236, 242, 230, 245): NTE 10 court hours total
* Balance of Salmonid Issues: NTE 10 court hours total
* Delta Smelt Cases: Balance of Available court hours, estimated to be 24 hours total
The Parties further have agreed to divide the allocated hours set forth above equally per side, to be used by each side in its discretion among opening statements, closing arguments, direct examinations and cross-examinations, subject to (1) the witness availability issues that are included in the order of witnesses below and (2) not exceeding the total hours per side per case.
For purposes of these time allocations, the Plaintiffs and Plaintiff-in-Intervention, State of California, Department of Water Resources, shall be considered one side, and the Federal Defendants and Defendant-Intervenors shall be considered one side. The schedule set forth below has been based on the parties' best estimates of time, as well as the availability and time constraints of the witnesses. In the event any witness finishes early, the next scheduled witness will begin.
March 30, 9:00 a.m. -- March 31: Noon
* Opening Statements on TRO/PI Motion in Salmonid Cases re RPA Action IV.2.1 (Doc. Nos. 236, 242, 230, 245).
* Steven P. Cramer Re TRO/PI Motion in Salmonid Cases re RPA Action IV.2.1.
* Jeffrey Stuart Re TRO/PI Motion in Salmonid Cases re RPA Action IV.2.1.
* Ronald Milligan for all purposes in both consolidated sets of cases
* Closing Arguments on TRO/PI Motion in Salmonid Cases re RPA Action IV.2.1
* Ruling on TRO in Salmonid Cases re RPA Action IV.2.1
March 31, 1:00 p.m. -- April 1, End of Day
* Bradley Cavallo re PI Motion in Salmonid Cases Re RPA Action IV.2.3 (Doc. Nos. 161, 164, 230, 245)
* Steven P. Cramer re RPA Action IV.2.3 (possible, if not cumulative of Bradley Cavallo re why lifting the restriction will not harm the species)
* Jeffrey Stuart Re RPA Action IV.2.3
* Terry Erlewine for both consolidated sets of cases and transition to Consolidated Delta Smelt Cases
* Closing Arguments, if any, in Salmonid Cases
* Begin Opening Statements, if any, in Delta Smelt Cases, time permitting
* Complete Opening Statements in Delta Smelt Cases
* Aaron Miller (Must complete by close of business April 2)
* Frederick Feyrer
* Ken Newman (Must complete by close of business April 5)
* Ray Hilborn (Must complete by close of business April 6)
* Richard Deriso (Must complete by close of business April 6)
* Bryan Manly begins
* Complete Bryan Manly
* Lenny Grimaldo
* Derek Hilts
* Cay Goude
* Possible short rebuttal of Aaron Miller
* Closing Arguments
3. Regarding Mr. Milligan, it is further stipulated that, in exchange for Federal Defendants calling him in their case and his being called to the stand only once, Plaintiffs' cross- examination shall not be limited to the scope of his direct examination. In so stipulating, the Parties do not waive any other valid objections to the examination of Mr. Milligan.
4. In addition to the foregoing live testimony, the parties further stipulate that the following witnesses may testify via their previously submitted declarations and that the hearsay objection will not be asserted against the admissibility of such declarations: Todd Allen, Joe Del Bosque, Russ Freeman, Chris Hurd, Daniel G. Nelson, Dana Wilkie, William "Zeke" Grader, Jeffrey Michael, and Gary Hayward Slaughter Mulcahy. In so stipulating, the parties against whom the declarations have been offered do not stipulate that the facts stated within the declarations are undisputed.
IT IS SO ORDERED.
IDENTIFICATION OF COUNSEL
DANIEL J. O'HANLON (SBN 122380) THOMAS W. BIRMINGHAM, (SBN 110898) WILLIAM T. CHISUM (SBN 142580) General Manager/General Counsel HANSPETER WALTER (SBN 244847) WESTLANDS WATER DISTRICT KRONICK, MOSKOVITZ, TIEDEMANN & GIRARD 3130 N. Fresno Street Fresno, CA 93703 400 Capitol Mall, 27th Floor Telephone: (559) 224-1523 Sacramento, CA 95814 Facsimile: (559) 241-6277 Telephone: (916) 321-4500 Facsimile: (916) 321-4555 EILEEN M. DIEPENBROCK (SBN 119254) JON D. RUBIN (SBN 196944) JONATHAN R. MARZ (SBN 221188) DIEPENBROCK HARRISON 400 Capitol Mall, 18th Floor Sacramento, CA 95814 Telephone: (916) 492-5000 Facsimile: (916) 446-4535 Attorneys for Plaintiffs SAN LUIS & DELTA-MENDOTA WATER AUTHORITY and WESTLANDS WATER DISTRICT GREGORY K. WILKINSON (SBN 054809) NOSSAMAN LLP STEVEN M. ANDERSON (SBN 186700) ROBERT D. THORNTON (SBN 72934) PAETER E. GARCIA (SBN 199580) PAUL S. WEILAND (SBN 237058) MELISSA R. CUSHMAN (SBN 246398) AUDREY M. HUANG (SBN 217622) BEST BEST & KRIEGER LLP 18101 Von Karman Avenue, Suite 1800 3750 University Avenue, Suite 400 Irvine, CA 92612 P. O. Box 1028 Telephone: (949) 833-7800 Riverside, CA 92502 Facsimile: (949) 833-7878 Telephone: (951) 686-1450 Facsimile: (951) 686-3083 Attorneys for Plaintiffs COALITION FOR A SUSTAINABLE Attorneys for Plaintiff DELTA and KERN COUNTY WATER STATE WATER CONTRACTORS AGENCY KERN COUNTY WATER AGENCY CHRISTOPHER J. CARR (SBN 184076) AMELIA T. MINABERRIGARAI (SBN 192359) WILLIAM M. SLOAN (SBN 203583) MORRISON & FOERSTER, LLP P.O. Box 58 425 Market Street Bakersfield, CA 93302-0058 San Francisco, CA 94105 Telephone: (661) 634-1400 Telephone: (415) 268-7000 Facsimile: (661) 634-1428 Attorneys for Plaintiff Attorney for Plaintiff THE METROPOLITAN WATER DISTRICT KERN COUNTY WATER AGENCY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA M. REED HOPPER (SBN 131291) BRENDA W. DAVIS (SBN 133087) DAMIEN M. SCHOFF (SBN 235101) LESLIE R. WAGLEY (SBN 15281) BRANDON M. MIDDLETON (SBN 255699) THE BRENDA DAVIS LAW GROUP 3900 Lennane Drive, Suite 200 1990 3rd Street, Suite 400 Sacramento, CA 95834 Sacramento, CA 95811 Telephone: (916) 419-7111 Telephone: (916) 341-7400 Facsimile: (916) 419-7747 Facsimile: (916) 341-7410 Attorneys for Plaintiffs Attorneys for Plaintiff STEWART & JASPER ORCHARDS; FAMILY FARM ALLIANCE ARROYO FARMS, LLC; and KING PISTACHIO GROVE EDMUND G. BROWN, JR (SBN 37100) IGNACIA S. MORENO, Attorney General of California Assistant Attorney General CLIFFORD T. LEE (SBN 74687) United States Department of Justice CECILIA L. DENNIS (SBN 201997) Environmental & Natural Resources Division ALLISON GOLDSMITH (SBN 238263) JEAN E. WILLIAMS, Chief DEPUTY ATTORNEY GENERAL S. JAY GOVINDAN, 455 Golden Gate Avenue, Suite 11000 Senior Trial Attorney (D.C. Bar No. 463856) San Francisco, CA 94102-7004 ETHAN EDDY (D.C. Bar No. 237214) Telephone: (415) 703-5511 Trial Attorney Facsimile: (415) 703-5480 United States Department of Justice Wildlife and Marine Resources Section Attorneys for Plaintiff in Intervention Benjamin Franklin Station, P.O. Box 7369 CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF WATER RESOURCES 601 D Street, NW, Room 3028 (20004) Washington, D.C. 20044-7369 Telephone: (202) 305-0216 Facsimile: (202) 305-0275 Attorneys for FEDERAL DEFENDANTS KATHERINE POOLE (SBN 195010) TRENT W. ORR (SBN 77656) DOUG OBEGI (SBN 246127) GEORGE M. TORGUN (SBN 222085) Natural Resources Defense Council Earthjustice 111 Sutter St., 20th Floor 426 17th Street, 5th Floor San Francisco, CA 94104 Oakland, CA 94612 Telephone: (415) 875-6100 Telephone: (510) 550-6725 Facsimile: (415) 875-6161 Facsimile: (510) 550-6749 Attorneys for Defendant-Intervenor Attorneys for Defendant-Intervenors NATURAL RESOURCES DEFENSE NATURAL RESOURCES DEFENSE COUNCIL COUNCIL; THE BAY INSTITUTE
© 1992-2010 VersusLaw Inc.