UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT EASTERN DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA
March 24, 2010
DONALD GLASS, PLAINTIFF,
J. S. WOODFORD, ET AL., DEFENDANTS.
The opinion of the court was delivered by: Dennis L. Beck United States Magistrate Judge
ORDER FINDING SERVICE OF COMPLAINT APPROPRIATE AND FORWARDING DOCUMENTS TO PLAINTIFF (Doc. 1)
Plaintiff Donald Glass ("Plaintiff") is a state prisoner proceeding pro se and in forma pauperis in this civil rights action filed pursuant to 42 U.S.C. § 1983.
Plaintiff filed this action on January 5, 2009. The Court screened Plaintiff's complaint pursuant to 28 U.S.C. § 1915A and finds that it states a cognizable claim for relief under§ 1983 against (1) defendants Hamilton, Robles, Logue, Bautista, and John Doe for use of excessive force in violation of the Eighth Amendment; (2) defendants Grandy, Riddle, McDaniel for deliberate indifference to a serious medical need in violation of the Eighth Amendment; and (3) defendants Hamilton, Bautista, Logue, Robles, Riddle, Cedillos, Grandy, and McDaniel for retaliation in violation of the First Amendment.*fn1
Accordingly, IT IS HEREBY ORDERED that:
1. Service is appropriate for defendants*fn2 Hamilton Robles Logue Bautista Grandy Riddle McDaniel Cedillos
2. The Clerk of the Court shall send Plaintiff eight (8) USM-285 forms, eight (8) summons, a Notice of Submission of Documents form, an instruction sheet and a copy of the complaint filed January 5, 2009.
3. Within THIRTY (30) DAYS from the date of this Order, Plaintiff shall complete the attached Notice of Submission of Documents and submit the completed Notice to the Court with the following documents:
a. Completed summons;
b. One completed USM-285 form for each defendant listed above; and
c. nine (9) copies of the endorsed complaint filed January 1, 2009.
4. Plaintiff need not attempt service on Defendants and need not request waiver of service. Upon receipt of the above-described documents, the court will direct the United States Marshal to serve the above-named Defendants pursuant to Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 4 without payment of costs.
5. The failure to comply with this Order will result in a recommendation of dismissal of this action.
IT IS SO ORDERED.