The opinion of the court was delivered by: The Honorable Saundra Brown Armstrong United States District Court Judge
REQUEST TO CONTINUE OR VACATE TELEPHONIC CASE MANAGEMENT CONFERENCE; [PROPOSED] ORDER THEREON Date: October 20, 2010 Time: 2:30 p.m.
Judge: The Honorable Saundra Brown Armstrong
Plaintiffs herein respectfully request that the telephonic Case Management Conference currently on calendar for October 20, 2010, be continued or vacated entirely, in anticipation of Plaintiffs filing a Motion for Default Judgment.
1. As the Court's records will reflect, a Complaint was filed in this matter on July 12, 2010, to compel Defendant's compliance with the terms of its Collective Bargaining Agreement by paying contributions reported but unpaid for the months of May through July 2006, June through December 2007, June and August 2009, January and February 2010, and thereafter through the time of Judgment, as well as liquidated damages and interest thereon; and interest that accrued on late-paid contributions for the month of April 2009.
2. Service on Defendant was effectuated on July 30, 2010, and a Proof of Service of Summons was filed with the Court on July 30, 2010.
3. On or about August 11, 2010, I received a telephone call from Steve Anderson, Esq., who represented that he was calling on behalf of Defendant to request a two week extension of time to answer the Complaint. Mr. Anderson stated that had not been retained to represent the Defendant, and was informally assisting the Defendant who is a personal friend. The original deadline for Defendant to file an answer to the Complaint was August 20, 2010; pursuant to Mr. Anderson's request, I agreed to extend this deadline by two weeks, to September 3, 2010. filing a Request for Entry of Default on September 13, 2010, serving a courtesy copy on Mr.
4. Plaintiffs allowed ten additional days to pass after the extended deadline before Anderson.
5. Subsequently, Mr. Anderson left me a voicemail message inquiring about the Request for Entry of Default. I returned his telephone call, and left a voicemail message in response, however I did not receive a response. I have had no further contact from Mr. Anderson, and have never had a response from Defendant.
6. On September 16, 2010, the Court entered the default of Defendant.
7. To date, Defendant has failed to plead or otherwise defend or appear in this action.
Therefore, Plaintiffs are currently preparing a Motion for Default Judgment which they anticipate filing with the Court promptly.
8. There are no issues that need to be addressed at the currently scheduled Case Management Conference. In the interest of conserving costs as well as the Court's time and resources, Plaintiffs respectfully request that the Case Management Conference, currently scheduled for October 20, 2010, be vacated, or in the alternative be continued to either coincide with the date to be set for the Motion or continued for 90 days to allow disposition of the Motion.
I declare under penalty of perjury that I am the attorney for the Plaintiffs in the above entitled action, and that the ...