IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE EASTERN DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA
November 12, 2010
PETER KNOWLES, PLAINTIFF,
CITY OF BENICIA, ET AL., DEFENDANTS.
Plaintiff has filed a motion to shorten time for hearing his November 10, 2010 motion to quash or modify third party subpoenas and for a protective order. Also before the court is plaintiff's November 10, 2010 motion to stay production of documents pending a ruling on plaintiff's motion to quash or modify subpoenas and for protective order. In addition, defendants filed a motion for sanctions on November 11, 2010.
Upon consideration of the parties' filings, IT IS HEREBY ORDERED that:
1. Plaintiff's motion to quash or modify third-party subpoenas and for a protective order (Doc. No. 17) is denied with respect to the motion to quash or modify;
2. Plaintiff's motion to shorten time (Doc. No. 23) is granted in part, and plaintiff's motion for a protective order is specially set for hearing on Tuesday, November 16, 2010, at 1:30 p.m. Defendants' motion for sanctions (Doc. No. 32) will be heard at that time as well;
3. Defendants shall seal, without examining, all documents produced to defendants in response to the third-party subpoenas at issue, pending the court's ruling on plaintiff's motion for a protective order;
4. If plaintiff wishes to respond to defendants' briefing solely on the issue of plaintiff's motion for a protective order and defendants' motion for sanctions, plaintiff may file a reply that does not exceed five pages in length and does not include any attachments, exhibits, or declarations; plaintiff's reply, if any, must be filed by noon on Monday, November 15, 2010, and no sur-reply or further briefing of any kind may be filed;
5. Counsel may appear telephonically at the hearing of plaintiff's motion for a protective order. Any party who wishes to appear telephonically shall arrange such appearance by contacting Pete Buzo, Courtroom Deputy to the undersigned, at (916) 930-4128, no later than 1:30 p.m. on Monday, November 15, 2010. A land-line telephone number must be provided; and
6. Plaintiff's motion to stay production of documents (Doc. No. 22) is denied.
© 1992-2010 VersusLaw Inc.