BENJAMIN B. WANGER United States Attorney EDWARD A. OLSEN, CSBN 214150 Assistant United States Attorney 501 I Street, Suite 10-100 Sacramento, California 95814 Telephone: (916) 554-2821 Facsimile: (916) 554-2900 Attorneys for Defendant
ORDER APPROVING COMPROMISE SETTLEMENT
IT IS HEREBY STIPULATED by and between Plaintiff Patrick Kenoyer and Defendant United States of America, by and through their respective attorneys as follows:
1. The parties do hereby agree to settle and compromise the above-entitled action under the terms and conditions set forth herein.
2. Defendant United States of America agrees to pay to Plaintiff Patrick Kenoyer the sum of Forty Thousand Dollars and no cents ($40,000.00), which sum shall be in full settlement and satisfaction of any and all claims, demands, rights, and causes of action of whatsoever kind and nature, arising from, and by reason of any and all known and unknown, foreseen and unforeseen bodily and personal injuries, damage to property and the consequences thereof, resulting, and to result, from the same subject matter that gave rise to the above-captioned lawsuit, including any claims for wrongful death, for which Plaintiff or his heirs, executors, administrators, or assigns, and each of them, now have or may hereafter acquire against the United States of America, its agencies, agents, servants, and employees.
3. Plaintiff and his heirs, executors, administrators or assigns hereby agree to accept the sum listed in paragraph 2 in full settlement and satisfaction of any and all claims, demands, rights, and causes of action of whatsoever kind and nature, arising from, and by reason of any and all known and unknown, foreseen and unforeseen bodily and personal injuries, damage to property and the consequences thereof which she may have or hereafter acquire against the United States of America, its agencies, agents, servants and employees on account of the same subject matter that gave rise to the above-captioned lawsuit, including any future claim for wrongful death. Plaintiff and his heirs, executors, administrators or assigns further agree to reimburse, indemnify and hold harmless the United States of America, its agencies, agents, servants or employees from any and all such causes of action, claims, liens, rights, or subrogated or contribution interests incident to or resulting from further litigation or the prosecution of claims by Plaintiff or his heirs, executors, administrators or assigns against any third party or against the United States, including claims for wrongful death.
4. This stipulation for compromise settlement shall not constitute an admission of liability or fault on the part of the United States, its agencies, agents, servants, or employees, and is entered into by the parties for the purpose of compromising disputed claims and avoiding the expenses and risks of litigation.
5. This Agreement may be pled as a full and complete defense to any subsequent action or other proceeding involving any person or party which arises out of the claims released and discharged by the Agreement.
6. It is also agreed, by and among the parties, that the settlement amount of Forty Thousand Dollars and no cents ($40,000.00) to Patrick Kenoyer represents the entire amount of the compromise settlement and that the respective parties will each bear their own costs, fees, and expenses and that any attorneys' fees owed by Plaintiff will be paid out of the settlement amount and not in addition thereto.
7. It is also understood by and among the parties that, pursuant to Title 28, United States Code, Section 2678, attorneys' fees for services rendered in connection with this action shall not exceed 25 percent of the amount of the compromise settlement.
8. Payment of the settlement amount will be made by a check drawn on the United States Postal Service for Forty Thousand Dollars and no cents ($40,000.00) and made payable to Patrick Kenoyer and the Frank Law Group, P.C. The check will be mailed to Frank Law Group, P.C., Courthouse Plaza, 1517 Lincoln Way, Auburn, CA 95603. Plaintiff and his attorney are responsible for payment for any taxes that may be due on the settlement proceeds and Defendant makes no representation as to any tax consequences or liabilities Plaintiff and his attorney may incur as a result of this settlement.
9. In consideration of this Agreement and the payment of the foregoing amount thereunder, Plaintiff agrees that upon notification that the settlement check is ready for delivery, he will deliver to Defendant's counsel a fully executed Notice of Dismissal with prejudice of Kenoyer v. United States, 2:10-CV-01858-EFB. Upon delivery of the Notice of Dismissal, Defendant's counsel will release the settlement check to Plaintiff's counsel or his agent.
10. Plaintiff has been informed that payment may take sixty days or more to process, but Defendant agrees to make good faith efforts to expeditiously process said payment.
11. The parties agree that should any dispute arise with respect to the implementation of the terms of this Agreement, Plaintiff shall not seek to rescind the Agreement and pursue his original causes of action. Plaintiff's sole remedy in such a dispute is an action to enforce the Agreement in district court. The parties agree that the district court will retain jurisdiction over this matter for the purposes of resolving any dispute alleging a breach of this Agreement.
12. Plaintiff hereby releases and forever discharges the United States and any and all of its past and present officials, employees, agencies, agents, attorneys, their successors and assigns, from any and all obligations, damages, liabilities, actions, causes of action, claims and demands of any kind and nature whatsoever, whether suspected or unsuspected, at law or in equity, ...