The opinion of the court was delivered by: Judge: Hon. Dale S. Fischer
FINDINGS OF FACT RELATING TO RELEASE OF INTERPLEAD FUNDS
Magistrate Judge: John E. McDermott
Courtroom: 840 Pursuant to Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, Rule 52, and Central District Local Rule, Rule L.R. 52-1, and following consideration of the issues presented in this matter, and based upon the evidence presented, this Court makes the following findings of fact relating to the release of funds to SCOTTSDALE INSURANCE COMPANY ("Scottsdale") and VNU BUSINESS MEDIA, INC., a Delaware corporation (erroneously sued in an underlying action as BPI Communications) ("VNU"):
1. On February 12, 2010, Scottsdale filed the instant action for declaratory relief and interpleader against THE SONI LAW FIRM ("Soni"), VNU, and THE MILTON H. GREENE ARCHIVES, INC. ("Greene").
2. This federal interpleader action arises out of an underlying federal copyright action entitled The Milton H. Greene Archives v. Julien's Auction House, LLC, et al., United States District Court for the Central District of California, Case No. CV 05-7686 AHM ("the Greene Action"), filed in October of 2005.
3. On February 12, 2010, Scottsdale filed a Notice of Deposit Into Court and deposited $400,896.45 with the Clerk of the District Court, the funds in dispute ("the Interplead Funds"), a copy of which is attached hereto as Exhibit 1.
4. On May 23, 2011, this Court issued its Findings of Fact and Conclusions of Law Re the Priority of The Soni Law Firm's Claim to the Disputed Funds Relative to Scottsdale Insurance Co.'s and VNU Business Media, Inc.'s Claims, holding that Scottsdale and VNU's respective claims each had priority over the claims asserted by Soni, a copy of which is attached hereto as Exhibit 2.
5. Soni filed a Notice of Appeal to the Ninth Circuit regarding the Court's Findings of Fact and Conclusions of Law Re the Priority of The Soni Law Firm's Claim to the Disputed Funds Relative to Scottsdale Insurance Co.'s and VNU Business Media, Inc.'s Claims.
6. Scottsdale and VNU have entered into a Settlement Agreement regarding their respective claims to and the Court's disbursement of the Interplead Funds and have stipulated and agreed as to the manner in which the Interplead Funds will be disbursed and divided as between Scottsdale and VNU, a copy of which is attached hereto as Exhibit 3.
7. Soni requested a stay and that the Interplead Funds not be released by the Court, and the Court ordered briefing on the matter.
8. On October 21, 2011, the Court found that there are no grounds for the stay requested by Soni, as outlined by the Court's October 21, 2011 Order, a copy of which is attached hereto as Exhibit 4.
9. Scottsdale and VNU agreed to apportion the Interplead Funds pursuant to the Settlement Agreement, as follows:
Two Hundred Thousand Dollars and zero cents ($200,000) of the Interplead Funds shall be paid to Plaintiff Scottsdale Insurance Company. The check shall be made payable to the "Scottsdale Insurance Company" and shall be sent to TODD R. HAAS, SELMAN BREITMAN LLP, 101 West Broadway, Suite 1330, ...