The opinion of the court was delivered by: Hon. William B. Shubb
Date: February 6, 2012
Time: 10:00 a.m.
STIPULATION AND [PROPOSED] ORDER
CONTINUING STATUS DATE; DECLARATION OF COUNSEL
Counsel for the government and defendant respectfully submit this Stipulation and [Proposed] Order requesting that the February 6, 2012 Status date in this matter be continued to March 12, 2012. Counsel agree and stipulate that the prosecution has provided additional discovery pursuant to defense requests and is seeking further discovery, that both parties continue to perform additional investigation, and that the parties are actively engaged in settlement discussions.
Counsel further stipulate to the exclusion of time under the Speedy Trial Act from the date of this Order until March 12, 2012. Exclusion of time is proper pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 3161(h)(7)(A) and (B) and local code T4 because the requested continuance is intended to allow the defense additional time to prepare its case, thereby ensuring effective assistance of counsel.
Respectfully submitted, Date: February 2, 2012 /s/ Daniel S. McConkie Assistant United States Attorney Date: February 2, 2012 /s/ Brian J. Petersen Attorney for Defendant JOSE PINEDA-MENDOZA
DECLARATION OF BRIAN J. PETERSEN
I am an attorney at law, licensed to practice before all courts of the State of California, and I have been retained by defendant herein JOSE PINEDA-MENDOZA ("defendant"). I make this declaration from facts within my own personal knowledge, except where stated on information and belief, in which case I believe the facts stated to be true. If called to testify in this matter, I could and would do so competently.
1. I filed a Substitution of Attorneys in this matter on September 4, 2011, which was approved by the Court shortly thereafter. Around the same time, by stipulation counsel for the government and myself continued the status date until October 17, 2011.
2. Since then, I obtained and reviewed all of the discovery and met with my client and an interpreter to discuss it. On September 28, 2011, I requested some additional evidence from AUSA Daniel McConkie.
3. Mr. McConkie and I stipulated to continue the next status conference date from October 17, 2011 to December 12, 2011, and then to February 6, 2012, and the Court approved the requests. During that period, Mr. McConkie obtained some of the discovery I requested, and is continuing to try to get me the rest. Mr. McConkie and I met in person on November 29, 2011 to discuss the case. I have proposed a way to Mr. McConkie to resolve the case, and he is considering my proposal and suggested that he might make a counterproposal after discussing the matter in his office.
4. Mr. McConkie and I need more time to discuss my proposal, as well as to confirm that he has provided me all of the discovery that he wants to try to obtain at my request. If those discussions do not resolve the case or otherwise remove it from the Court's calendar, we would be prepared to set a trial and motion(s) schedule in this matter.
5. I have explained to defendant and his family what is going on, including our plan to ask to continue the February 6, 2012 status date. Defendant wants me to have enough time to prepare and does not object to the continuance.
6. Mr. McConkie and I have agreed to a new date of March 12, 2012, and Mr. McConkie informed me that I could "sign" ...