IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE EASTERN DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA
July 16, 2012
GILBERTO GARCIA, PLAINTIFF,
G. GUIRIBINO, ET AL., DEFENDANTS.
The opinion of the court was delivered by: Carolyn K. Delaney United States Magistrate Judge
Plaintiff is a state prisoner proceeding pro se and in forma pauperis. Plaintiff seeks relief pursuant to 42 U.S.C. § 1983 and plaintiff has consented to all proceedings in this matter being held before a United States Magistrate Judge. See 28 U.S.C. § 636(c). On March 14, 2012, the court dismissed plaintiff's complaint after screening it pursuant to 28 U.S.C. § 1915A(a). Plaintiff was given leave to file an amended complaint with specific instructions as to content. Plaintiff has now filed an amended complaint.
One of the court's instructions in the March 14, 2012 order is that
plaintiff's amended complaint not exceed 30 pages. While plaintiff's
amended complaint is 26 pages, not including exhibits, it is very
difficult, at times impossible to read because plaintiff's writing is
unacceptably small. In a civil action, the complaint is a document
which is continually referenced and consulted by the parties and the
court. While the court might be inclined to
accept plaintiff's small writing in a document which the court and
defendants need reference only once or a few times, or if the amended
complaint were relatively short, the burden imposed by plaintiff's
small handwriting in his 26 page amended complaint is unnecessarily
great. Therefore, plaintiff's amended complaint will be dismissed with
leave to file a second amended complaint. The second amended complaint
must be easily readable and must not exceed 30 pages.*fn1
If plaintiff fails to comply with these requirements, this
action will be dismissed.
It appears plaintiff complied with most of the other instructions given to him on March 14, 2012 regarding the contents of his amended complaint. Plaintiff must adhere to those instructions with respect to the contents of his second amended complaint.
In accordance with the above, IT IS HEREBY ORDERED that:
1. Plaintiff's amended complaint is dismissed.
2. Plaintiff is granted thirty days from the date of service of this order to file a second amended complaint that complies with the requirements of this order, the court's March 14, 2012 order, the Civil Rights Act, the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, and the Local Rules of Practice.
3. The second amended complaint must bear the docket number assigned this case and must be labeled "Second Amended Complaint."
4. Plaintiff must file an original and two copies of the second amended complaint.
5. Failure to file a second amended complaint in accordance with this order will result in dismissal.