UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT EASTERN DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA
July 31, 2012
CARRIE HAWECKER AND MICHELLE BROUSSARD, INDIVIDUALLY AND ON BEHALF OF A CLASS OF SIMILARLY SITUATED PERSON; PLAINTIFFS,
RAWLAND LEON SORENSEN,
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,
RAWLAND LEON SORENSEN,
The opinion of the court was delivered by: Jennifer L. Thurston United States Magistrate Judge
STIPULATION REGARDING PRE- TRIAL MATTERS; [PROPOSED] ORDER Hearing: August 29, 2012 Time: 10:00 a.m. Courtroom: 510 19th Street Plaintiffs, Carrie Hawecker and Michelle Broussard, individually and on behalf of a similarly situated person, (Private Plaintiffs), Plaintiff United States of America, and Defendant Rawland Leon Sorensen, stipulate to the following pre-trial matters in this action as specifically set forth below.
Whereas the parties have met and conferred in preparation for the trial in this action to commence on October 1, 2012, the parties agree to the following pre-trial and trial matters:
1. Pretrial motions: All pre-trial motions, including motions in limine, Daubert motions and motions under Federal Rule of Evidence 412 shall be filed on August 17, 2012; oppositions, if any, shall be filed on August 24, 2012; and replies, if any, shall be filed on August 31, 2012. The hearing regarding the motions will occur on September 7, 2012 at 10:00 a.m. before the Honorable Judge Thurston.
2. Voir Dire: The parties agree that the United States shall have 20 minutes for voir dire, the Private Plaintiffs shall have 20 minutes for voir dire, and the Defendant shall have 20 minutes for voir dire.
For the reasons set forth herein, the parties therefore stipulate and agree as specified above.
The parties request the court endorse this stipulation by way of formal order.
Respectfully submitted, Dated: July 30, 2012 BENJAMIN B. WAGNER STEVEN H. ROSENBAUM United States Attorney Chief Eastern District of California ALYSON A. BERG /s/Colleen M. Melody Assistant United States Attorney R. TAMAR HAGLER 2500 Tulare Street, Suite 4401 SBN 189441 Fresno, California 93721 Deputy Chief Phone: (559) 497-4000 COLLEEN M. MELODY Fax: (559) 497-4099 PAMELA O. BARRON E-mail: Alyson.Berg@usdoj.gov Trial Attorneys Housing and Civil Enforcement Section Civil Rights Division United States Department of Justice 950 Pennsylvania Avenue NW Northwest Building, 7th Floor Washington, DC 20530 Phone: (202) 305-0616 Fax: (202) 514-1116 E-mail: Collen.Melody@usdoj.gov BRANCART & BRANCART By: /s/ Christopher Brancart (as authorized) Christopher Brancart Attorneys for Plaintiffs Carrie Hawecker and Michelle Broussard LAW OFFICES OF M. GREG MULLANAX By: /s/ Greg Mullanax (as authorized) Milton Greg Mullanax Attorneys for Defendant Rawland Leon Sorensen
Based upon the stipulation of the parties, the Court GRANTS the stipulation as follows:
1. All pre-trial motions, including motions in limine, Daubert motions and motions under Federal Rule of Evidence 412 shall be filed on August 17, 2012;
2. Oppositions to pretrial motions, if any, shall be filed on August 24, 2012 and replies, if any, shall be filed on August 31, 2012;
3. The hearing regarding pretrial motions will be held on September 7, 2012 at 10:00 a.m. at the United States Courthouse at 510 19th Street, Bakersfield, CA. Counsel may appear by
4. The United States shall have 20 minutes for voir dire, the private Plaintiffs shall have 20 minutes for voir dire, and the Defendant shall have 20 minutes for voir dire. Counsel are permitted to ask follow-up questions, to ask questions on topics on which there has been no inquiry and to clarify responses previously given. They SHALL NOT argue, repeat questions already asked or improperly attempt to "condition" the jury. If they stray into improper tactics or waste time, counsel will be stopped regardless of whether they have fully exhausted their allotted time.
IT IS SO ORDERED.
© 1992-2012 VersusLaw Inc.