MELINDA HAAG (CABN 132612), United States Attorney, ALEX G. TSE (CABN 152348), Chief, Civil Division, NEILL T. TSENG (CABN 220348), Assistant United States Attorney, San Francisco, CA, Attorney for Defendant.
STIPULATION AND AGREEMENT OF COMPROMISE AND SETTLEMENT AND [PROPOSED] ORDER; EXHIBIT "A"
YVONNE GONZALEN-ROGERS, District Judge.
It is hereby stipulated by and between the undersigned Plaintiff and the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, by and through their respective attorneys, as follows:
WHEREAS, Plaintiff filed the above-captioned action on 12/26/12;
WHEREAS, Plaintiff and Defendant wish to avoid any further litigation and controversy and to settle and compromise fully any and all claims and issues that have been raised, or could have been raised in this action, which have transpired prior to the execution of this Settlement Agreement ("Agreement");
NOW, THEREFORE, in consideration of the mutual promises contained in this Agreement, and other good and valuable consideration, receipt of which is hereby acknowledged, the Parties agree as follows:
1. Agreement to Compromise Claims. The parties do hereby agree to settle and compromise each and every claim of any kind, whether known or unknown, arising directly or indirectly from the acts or omissions that gave rise to the above-captioned action under the terms and conditions set forth in this Agreement.
2. Definition of "United States of America." As used in this Agreement, the United States of America shall include its current and former agents, servants, employees, and attorneys, as well as U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs and/or its current and former agents, servants, employees, and attorneys.
3. Settlement Amount. The United States of America agrees to pay the sum of dollars Five thousand dollars ($5, 000.00 ("Settlement Amount"), which sum shall be in full settlement and satisfaction of any and all claims, demands, rights, and causes of action of whatsoever kind and nature, arising from, and by reason of any and all known and unknown, foreseen and unforeseen personal injuries, damage to property and the consequences thereof, resulting, and to result, from the subject matter of this settlement, including any claims for wrongful death, for which Plaintiff or his [her] guardians, heirs, executors, administrators, or assigns, and each of them, now have or may hereafter acquire against the United States of America.
4. Release. Plaintiff and his [her] guardians, heirs, executors, administrators or assigns hereby agrees to accept the Settlement Amount in full settlement and satisfaction of any and all claims, demands, rights, and causes of action of whatsoever kind and nature, including claims for wrongful death, arising from, and by reason of any and all known and unknown, foreseen and unforeseen personal injuries, damage to property and the consequences thereof which they may have or hereafter acquire against the United States of America on account of the same subject matter that gave rise to the above-captioned action, including any future claim or lawsuit of any kind or type whatsoever, whether known or unknown, and whether for compensatory or exemplary damages. Plaintiff and his [her] guardians, heirs, executors, administrators or assigns further agrees to reimburse, indemnify and hold harmless the United States of America from and against any and all such causes of action, claims, liens, rights, or subrogated or contribution interests incident to or resulting from further litigation or the prosecution of claims by Plaintiff or his [her] guardians, heirs, executors, administrators or assigns against any third party or against the United States, including claims for wrongful death.
5. Dismissal of Action. In consideration of the payment of the Settlement Amount and the other terms of this Agreement, Plaintiff shall immediately upon execution of this Agreement also execute a Stipulation of Dismissal, a copy of which is attached hereto as Exhibit A. The Stipulation of Dismissal shall dismiss, with prejudice, all claims asserted in this action, or that could have been asserted in this action. The fully executed Stipulation of Dismissal will be held by Defendant's attorney and will be filed within five (5) business days of receipt by Plaintiffs attorney of the Settlement Amount.
6. No Admission of Liability. This stipulation for compromise settlement is not intended to be, and should not be construed as, an admission of liability or fault on the part of the United States, and it is specifically denied that it is liable to the Plaintiff. This settlement is entered into by all parties for the purpose of compromising disputed claims and avoiding the expenses and risks of further litigation.
7. Parties Bear Their Own Costs. It is also agreed, by and among the parties, that the respective parties will each bear their own costs, fees, and expenses and that any attorney's fees owed by the Plaintiff will be paid out of the Settlement Amount and not in addition thereto.
8. Attorney's Fees. It is also understood by and among the parties that pursuant to Title 28; United States Code, Section 2678, attorney's fees for services rendered in connection with this action shall not exceed ...