PRINCIPAL FINANCIAL SERVICES, INC., an Iowa Corporation, Plaintiff,
PRINCIPAL TAX GROUP, INC., a Delaware Corporation, Defendant.
Ian A. Stewart, (State Bar No. 250689), Ian.Stewart@wilsonelser.com Diana M. Estrada, (State Bar No. 212702), Diana.Estrada@wilsonelser.com WILSON, ELSER, MOSKOWITZ, EDELMAN & DICKER LLP, Los Angeles, California, Attorneys for Plaintiff PRINCIPAL FINANCIAL SERVICES, INC.
[PROPOSED] CONSENT JUDGMENT
CHRISTINA A. SNYDER, District Judge.
This action having been commenced by Plaintiff, PRINCIPAL FINANCIAL SERVICES, INC. (hereinafter "Plaintiff") against Defendant, PRINCIPAL TAX GROUP, INC. ("Defendant"), and the parties having agreed to settle this matter and to terminate this action by a Final Judgment and Permanent Injunction by Consent, and the Court being duly advised, the Court finds as follows:
FINDINGS OF FACT AND CONCLUSIONS OF LAW
1. This is an action for trademark infringement, unfair competition and trademark dilution under the laws of the United States, Title 15, United States Code, and under the laws of the State of California. This Court has jurisdiction over the subject matter of the Complaint in this action based on 28 U.S.C. §§ 1332, 1367 and 1338 and 15 U.S.C. § 1121. This Court has personal jurisdiction over the Defendant. Venue is proper within this judicial district.
2. Plaintiff is a corporation duly organized and existing under the laws of the State of Iowa with its principal place of business at 711 High Street, Des Moines, Iowa 50392, and Plaintiff is the owner of the famous family of PRINCIPAL and PRINCIPAL formative trademarks ("PRINCIPAL Family of Marks"). Plaintiff, through its various member companies and licensees, uses the PRINCIPAL Family of Marks throughout the world in connection with a variety of services including, but not limited to, tax consultation, financial, banking, insurance, investment, investment management, investment advisory, estate planning, underwriting, lending, mutual funds, real estate, retirement, employee benefits, global asset management, and healthcare related services.
3. Defendant is an entity organized and existing under the laws of the State of Delaware, located at 12304 Santa Monica Blvd., Ste. 350, Los Angeles, California 90025, and offering tax-related services in interstate commerce under the trade name and service mark PRINCIPAL TAX GROUP, INC. (hereinafter the "PRINCIPAL TAX GROUP Mark"). Defendant is conducting business within the State of California and in interstate commerce.
4. Defendant acknowledges that Plaintiff, via its affiliates, licensees or predecessors-in-interest, has used one or more of the marks making up its famous PRINCIPAL Family of Marks since at least as early as 1960 in connection with financial analysis and consulting, management of securities and securities brokerage services.
5. Defendant acknowledges that Plaintiff and/or its affiliates, licensees, or predecessors-in-interest have used one or more of the marks making up the PRINCIPAL Family of Marks since at least as early as 1985 in interstate commerce in connection with, inter alia, tax related services.
6. Defendant acknowledges that Plaintiff is the owner of all common law rights in the PRINCIPAL Family of Marks.
7. Any unauthorized advertising, promotion, distribution or sale of tax consultation, financial, banking, insurance, investment, investment management, investment advisory, estate planning, underwriting, lending, mutual funds, real estate, retirement, employee benefits, global asset management, and/or healthcare related services by Defendant utilizing a trademark or trade name incorporating PRINCIPAL and/or PRINCIPLE is likely to confuse, mislead or deceive the public into believing that such goods or services originate from or are sponsored or authorized by Plaintiff and constitutes trademark infringement, unfair competition and trademark dilution in violation of Federal law and the laws of the State of California.
8. The parties have agreed to the entry of this Order as a part of a Settlement and each party has read this Order and agrees to be fully bound by its terms.
IT IS HEREBY ORDERED:
A. Defendant PRINCIPAL TAX GROUP, INC., as well as any of its owners, officers, agents, servants, employees, successors and assigns and all other persons in active concert or participation with it, is hereby ...