United States District Court, C.D. California
March 4, 2014
Sanrio, Inc., Plaintiff,
Blink & Blink, Inc. d/b/a Blink E Blink; Chang Gi Min; Byung Soo Min; and Does 1-10, inclusive, Defendants.
J. Andrew Coombs, Annie S. Wang, J. Andrew Coombs, A Prof. Corp., Glendale, California, Attorneys for Plaintiff Sanrio, Inc.
Chang Gi Min Byung Soo Min Blink & Blink, Inc. d/b/a Blink E. Blink Los Angeles, California Defendants, in pro se
CONSENT DECREE PURSUANT TO STIPULATION
GARY A. FEESS, District Judge.
The Court, having read and considered the Joint Stipulation for Entry of Consent Decree that has been executed on behalf of Plaintiff Sanrio, Inc. ("Plaintiff"), on the one hand, and Defendants Chang Gi Min, Byung Soo Min and Blink & Blink, Inc. d/b/a Blink E. Blink (collectively "Defendants"), on the other hand, and good cause appearing therefore, hereby:
ORDERS that this Consent Decree shall be and is hereby entered in the within action as follows:
1) This Court has jurisdiction over the parties to this action and over the subject matter hereof pursuant to 17 U.S.C. § 101 et seq., 17 U.S.C. § 501, 28 U.S.C. §§ 1331 and 1338, and 28 U.S.C. § 1367. Service of process was properly made against Defendants.
2) Plaintiff is the owner or exclusive licensee of all rights in and to the copyright and trademark registrations listed in Exhibits "A" and "B, " attached hereto and incorporated herein by this reference, and the copyrights associated with the same ("Plaintiff's Properties").
3) Plaintiff has expended considerable resources in the creation and commercial exploitation of Plaintiff's Properties on merchandise and in the enforcement of its intellectual property rights in Plaintiff's Properties.
4) Plaintiff has alleged that Defendants have made unauthorized uses of Plaintiff's Properties or substantially similar likenesses or colorable imitations thereof.
5) Defendants and their agents, servants, employees and all persons in active concert and participation with them who receive actual notice of the injunction are hereby restrained and enjoined from:
a) Infringing Plaintiff's copyrights and trademarks in Plaintiff's Properties, either directly or contributorily, in any manner, including generally, but not limited to manufacturing, importing, distributing, advertising, selling, offering for sale, any unauthorized product which features any of Plaintiff's Properties ("Unauthorized Products"), and, specifically:
i) Importing, manufacturing, distributing, advertising, selling, offering for sale, the Unauthorized Products or any other unauthorized products which picture, reproduce, copy or use the likenesses of or bear a substantial similarity to any of Plaintiff's Properties;
ii) Importing, manufacturing, distributing, advertising, selling, offering for sale, renting or offering to rent in connection thereto any unauthorized promotional materials, labels, packaging or containers which picture, reproduce, copy or use the likenesses of or bear a confusing similarity to any of Plaintiff's Properties;
iii) Engaging in any conduct that tends falsely to represent that, or is likely to confuse, mislead or deceive purchasers, Defendants' customers and/or members of the public to believe, the actions of Defendants, the products sold by Defendants, or Defendants themselves are connected with Plaintiff, are sponsored, approved or licensed by Plaintiff, or are affiliated with Plaintiff; or
iv) Affixing, applying, annexing or using in connection with the importation, manufacture, distribution, advertising, selling, offering for sale, or other use of any goods or services, a false description or representation, including words or other symbols, tending to falsely describe or represent such goods as being those of Plaintiff.
6) Each side shall bear its own fees and costs of suit.
7) Except as provided herein, all claims alleged in the Complaint are dismissed with prejudice.
8) This Injunction shall be deemed to have been served upon Defendants at the time of its execution by the Court.
9) The Court finds there is no just reason for delay in entering this Injunction and, pursuant to Rule 54(a) of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, the Court directs immediate entry of this Injunction against Defendants.
10) The Court shall retain jurisdiction of this action to entertain such further proceedings and to enter such further orders as may be necessary or appropriate to implement and enforce the provisions of this Injunction.
11) The above-captioned action, shall, upon filing by Plaintiff of the Settlement Agreement, Stipulation for Entry of Judgment and Judgment Pursuant to Stipulation, and requesting entry of judgment against Defendants, be reopened should Defendants default under the terms of the Settlement Agreement.
SANRIO CO.'S COPYRIGHTED DESIGNS
Copyright Title of Work (Character) Type of Work Registration SANRIO 2005 CHARACTER VAu 684-322 GUIDE Graphic Artwork Collective work of artwork, text and VA X-XXX-XXX CHARACTER MERCHANDISING photos SANRIO 1993 PRODUCT AND TX 3-769-888 SALES PROMOTION CATALOG Visual Material VA X-XXX-XXX 2004 - 100 CHARACTERS Graphic Artwork VA 811-440 BAD BADTZ MARU Graphic Artwork VAu 498-617 CHOCOCAT Art original VA 130-420 HELLO KITTY Graphic Artwork VA 636-579 KEROKEROKEROPPI Sticker Book Pictorial Cartoon VA 707-212 KEROKEROKEROPPI Drawing VA 246-421 LITTLE TWIN STARS Stickers VA 840-495 MONKICHI Graphic Artwork MY MELODY, A BUNNY WITH VA 130-419 HOOD Graphic Artwork PATTY & JIMMY, A BOY AND VA 130-421 GIRL WITH SCHOOL BOOKS Graphic Artwork PEKKLE - AHIRU NO PEKKLE VA 636-582 MINI STICKER BOOK Graphic Artwork VA 840-496 PICKE BICKE Graphic Artwork VA 636-580 POCHACCO Sticker Book TUXEDO SAM, TUXEDO SAM GRAND REGATTA, SPIFFY'S THE COOLEST AND SPIFFY IS VA 148-625 COOL STICKERS Stickers VA 840-494 WINKIPINKI Graphic Artwork VA 636-581 ZASHIKIBUTA Stickers KEROPPI/LITTLE FROG... BIG VA X-XXX-XXX SPLASH Visual Material SANRIO 2010 CHARACTER Vau X-XXX-XXX GUIDE Visual Material SANRIO 2002 HELLO KITTY VA X-XXX-XXX STYLE GUIDE Visual Material VA 657-748 KOBUTA NO PIPPO Visual Material SANRIO 2005 KEROPPI STYLE VA X-XXX-XXX GUIDE Visual Material Vau 655-028 THE RUNABOUTS - 2001 Visual Material VA X-XXX-XXX TENORIKUMA(BLUE CAFE), Visual Material MY MELODY(HEART),
KUROMI(KUROMI5), CHARMMY KITTY(RABBIT), HELLO KITTY(LOGO) EVERYDAY CAT.JUNE 2006 MASYUMARU(INTRO); CINNAMOROLL(SPORT); SUGARBUNNIES(DOUGHNUTS); VA X-XXX-XXX CHARMMYKITTY(RABBIT); LITTLE TWIN STARS(STARS); HELLO KITTY(BEAR); Visual Material EVERYDAY CATALOG JULY 2006 PANDAPPLE(INTRO), FROOLIEMEW(FANCY), VA X-XXX-XXX CHOCOCAT(DOT)/SANRIO 2005 Visual Material PRODUCT CATALOG AUG NEW DOKIDOKI HOTDOG/THE VA X-XXX-XXX CHILI PEPPER TRIO/CATALOG Visual Material EVERYDAY 5 MAY 2003
SANRIO CO.'S TRADEMARKS
Trademark Mark Drawing Trademark Trademark Code Registration No. Registration Date Design Plus Chococat Words, Letters, 2, 842, 707 5/18/04 and/or Numbers Design Plus Chococat Words, Letters, 2, 707, 592 4/15/03 and/or Numbers Design Plus Chococat Words, Letters, 2, 705, 164 4/8/03 and/or Numbers Design Plus Chococat Words, Letters, 2, 714, 130 5/6/03 and/or Numbers Design Plus Chococat Words, Letters, 2, 952, 043 5/17/05 and/or Numbers Design Plus Chococat Words, Letters, 2, 845, 315 5/25/04 and/or Numbers Hello Kitty Design Only 1, 200, 083 7/6/82 Hello Kitty Design Only 1, 277, 721 5/15/84 Hello Kitty Typed Drawing 1, 215, 436 11/9/82 Hello Kitty Typed Drawing 1, 279, 486 5/29/84 Hello Kitty Typed Drawing 1, 391, 550 4/29/86 Hello Kitty Design Only 1, 370, 105 11/12/85 Standard Character Keroppi Mark 3, 531, 383 11/11/08 Standard Character Keroppi Mark 3, 181, 350 12/5/06 Standard Character Keroppi Mark 3, 531, 382 11/11/08 Standard Character Keroppi Mark 3, 181, 349 12/5/06 Standard Character Keroppi Mark 3, 436, 548 5/27/08
Standard Character Keroppi Mark 3, 181, 348 12/5/06 Standard Character Keroppi Mark 3, 181, 347 12/5/06 Standard Character Keroppi Mark 3, 449, 938 6/17/08 Standard Character Keroppi Mark 3, 531, 38111/11/08 Standard Character Keroppi Mark 3, 531, 380 11/11/08 Standard Character Keroppi Mark 3, 181, 346 12/5/06 Standard Character Keroppi Mark 3, 423, 288 5/6/08 Standard Character Keroppi Mark 3, 181, 345 12/5/06 Little Twin Stars Typed Drawing 1, 341, 864 6/18/85 Little Twin Stars Typed Drawing 1, 192, 946 4/6/82 Standard Character Little Twin Stars Mark 3, 245, 999 5/29/07 Standard Character Little Twin Stars Mark 3, 245, 998 5/29/07 Standard Character Little Twin Stars Mark 3, 245, 997 5/29/07 Standard Character Little Twin Stars Mark 3, 245, 994 5/29/07 Standard Character Little Twin Stars Mark 3, 245, 993 5/29/07 Standard Character Little Twin Stars Mark 3, 245, 992 5/29/07 Standard Character Little Twin Stars Mark 3, 245, 991 5/29/07 Standard Character Monkichi Mark 3, 699, 38110/20/09 My Melody Typed Drawing 1, 305, 637 11/20/84 My Melody Typed Drawing 1, 210, 192 9/28/82 Pekkle Typed Drawing 2, 053, 346 4/15/97 Pochacco Typed Drawing 2, 236, 507 4/6/99